Friday, October 15, 2010

Faux Designer??

I used to be annoyed at the designer capsule collections that chain stores featured, I felt it was defacing the art of design and I felt like the designers were 'selling out'. The first time I saw this I was in London circa 2004 and Karl Largerfeld designed a collection for H&M. I reeled in disgust when Stella McCartney designed for Target in Australia and bogans stormed the store to get their hands on 'Designer'. This of course was years ago and well before the economic crisis.
Three years later I changed my tune when Kate Moss for Topshop hit the shop floor, maybe this was due to my love of Kate Moss although I probably loved Karl Largerfeld just as much. Her stuff (or the collection designed under her namesake) was pretty great and three years on its still going strong.
I consider Lanvin the epitimy of design and I will forever wish for a wardrobe full of Alber Elbaz spectacular designs, so I am in two minds about Lanvin for H&M.

It hits store November 23rd and will be available for a preview online on November 2nd. I guess I will wait and see.

No comments: